They were there when we needed them . . . We must be there now that they need us.
What is a Stand Down?
In times of war, exhausted combat units requiring time to rest and recovery were removed from the battlefields to a place of security and safety. Today, Stand Down refers to a grassroots, community-based intervention program designed to help the nation’s estimated 67,000 homeless veterans transition from life on the streets back to civilian life.
Operation Stand Down is a time for the community to connect with our homeless and at-risk veterans to help break down the barriers that are keeping these heroes on the streets. The “hand up, not a hand out” philosophy of Stand Down requires the work of countless volunteers, businesses, and local, state and national organizations. Organizations will be available to provide direct services (including medical, dental, legal, spiritual) to ensure Veterans are getting benefits they are entitled to and provide referrals for those struggling with mental health, unemployment, homelessness and addiction issues.
Operation Stand Down
Location: Concourse Rotary Pavilion
11919 Alric Pottberg Road, Shady Hills, FL 34610.
*Vendors will be onsite April 21 & 22.
Overnight veterans will return on Sunday, April 23.
Does it make a difference? YES
Over the past seven years, we have been able to work with over 1,000 struggling veterans and their family members to connect them to services and resources.
- 296 veterans attended Operation Stand Down, 58 stayed overnight.
- 73 veterans received 89 dental services (extractions, fillings, cleanings, dentures, & denture realignments) valued at $55,977.
- 22 court cases heard; total court cost & clearance fees waived $14,100.91.
- 58 different vendors provided multiple services.
- 28 veterans were signed up to receive food stamps.
- 15 veterans received their Go Pasco transportation ID.
- 11 separate workshops were offered focusing on Whole Health.
- 53 veterans met with VA services to discuss their VA benefits.
- 223 amazing volunteers gave over 2,558 hours of community service; total volunteer time valued at $70,791.60.
Stories from the 2022 Operation Stand Down event!
How Can I Help?
By donating to One Community Now, you help us be the hands and feet that our community needs. You give us the chance to help people who live in fear every day, and you help us build a community, because with One Community Now we don’t just help, we build relationships, trust and become family.
Come join us! Looking to get involved with One Community Now but may not know how? Volunteering is a great way to learn more about who we are and what we do. If you want to help others and make a change in people lives, sign-up today to volunteer.
During the rapidly evolving situation around the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we are here to support you and your family in making sense of the situation.
By clicking the Amazon Smile button above, .5% of the price of your Amazon purchases will be donated to One Community Now! Simply click the button, select “Start Shopping,” and then shop as you normally would to donate!